Garage Doors Winter Maintenance Guide
Oh, the weather outside is frightful…
It’s that time of year again, with strong winds, increased rain and dropping temperatures. Yes, winter is here – and so is our garage doors winter maintenance guide! Obviously things aren’t all bad – it’s nearly Christmas, after all – but your garage doors are likely to be faced with some challenging weather conditions, and giving them some TLC now will be of real benefit.
Putting in some time into your garage doors winter maintenance is going to help you avoid possible need for repair further down the line – here are a few DIY tips from us that you can all put into practice.
Garage Door Winter Maintenance Guide
- A good clean is a good start! They don’t need to be spotless, but removing dirt, especially around the hinges (if your doors are hinged) will help stop ‘clogging’ and prevent the onset of rust.
- Pay particular attention to the weather stripping (located towards the bottom of your doors), keeping an eye open for any cracks or tears that may be developing. This area is key in keeping your garage interior dry – and the winter weather out.
- If your garage doors have windows, check and clean these also. If you do notice any damage, it’s better to act now than wait – rain and snow can cause further problems. The sealing around the windows is an area that needs some vigilance, as this protects your window frames. If in doubt, give us a call for advice.
- If your doors have any moving parts, check for build-ups of grease on the tracks and rollers, and wipe away with a cloth. Grease build-up can impede the smooth opening and closing of your doors, especially in winter. To be safe – please do not attempt to adjust any cables or springs without expert assistance. If you notice a problem with these aspects of your door, call us for assistance.
- Check those remote batteries. It’s cold, snowing, you’ve just arrived home… and your garage doors won’t open. You’ve guessed it – the batteries in the remote control have run out. We’ve all done it – so check you’ve got a fresh set of batteries running, and avoid that ‘oh no’ moment!
Need help with your garage doors winter maintenance?
If you think your garage doors need some expert attention, please give us a call on 01483 237393. We have a courteous, experienced team ready to assist you.
You can see actual customer feedback on Checkatrade ››
For a free, no obligation quote, please click here ››