Can Garage Doors Be Painted?
If your garage door is getting older and starting to look a little worse for wear, you may be thinking about giving it a bit of a refresh. But how should you go about it? In this article, we take a look at whether garage doors can, or should, be painted, and what alternative options are out there.
DIY garage door painting
It’s beneficial to keep your garage door paint in good condition – aside from the obvious aesthetic improvements that come with a fresh coat of colour. If your metal garage door is exposed it is vulnerable to rust; this can cause significant damage. If you want to prevent this with some DIY painting, this is possible for most garage doors, providing it is done properly and with the correct supplies.
How to paint a garage door
- Get the right paint: rather than using a general exterior paint, invest in paint that is specifically designed for garage doors. There are various offerings by brands such as Rust-oleum, Hammerite and Fortress.
- Wait for the right conditions: if the temperature is below 8°C or above 25°C, its performance will not be ideal.
- Prepare the door: give the door a rub down with sandpaper or a wire brush, and remove any dirt and dust with diluted detergent so the paint sticks to the surface properly.
- Prepare for any mess: cover the ground with old newspaper or some sort of sheeting that you don’t mind getting messy, so that paint doesn’t get on the floor.
- Begin to paint: open the door and do the inside edges first, then wait for them to dry. Then move on to the main face of the door, working from top to bottom until completed.
- Second coat: if the first coat was not completely opaque, you may want to go over it a second time to ensure the perfect finish.
Painting a garage door consume more time than it’s worth
If you’re thinking about painting your garage door, you should consider all of the processes involved and how much preparation, time and effort you really want to commit.
If the paint on your garage door is in a sorry state, it’s likely that its general condition isn’t great, either. Remember, it’s important to make sure your door is in optimum working order so that it can provide adequate protection against the elements and deter opportunist thieves.
You might want to consider investing in a brand new garage door for guaranteed quality and security, with the added bonus of a sleek, attractive finish that will last for years to come.
Here at Doormatic, we stock a huge range of quality garage doors in a variety of materials. These can be customised to your liking and are available in several custom colours for you to choose from. What’s more, you can even coordinate your garage door to match your front door.
Doormatic Garage Doors is a reputable garage door company serving domestic and commercial customers across the South East. For more information, or to arrange a survey, please don’t hesitate to contact us.