How Long Does It Take To Install a Garage Door?
Time is a precious resource for all of us, and no one wants to feel that they’re wasting it. While keeping your home in top condition is important, you want to know how long different tasks will take. If you’re reading this, it’s because you want to know how long it takes to install a garage door, so here’s the answer:
Approximately 4-6 hours.
Now, we’ll caveat that answer with the fact that this can vary depending on the type of door you’re having installed, how large it is and whether there are additional complexities to bear in mind (more on that later).
The most important thing to know is that this is an estimate for a professional installation, taking place over the course of a day. In the grand scheme of life, that’s a pretty small amount of time to achieve the stunning results that we deliver here at Doormatic Garage Doors.
Garage door installation process
The garage door installation process can follow a few different paths, again depending on the individual project. Our professional garage door installation team at Doormatic will tailor their approach to your home and your door choice, but here are the essential steps as a rough guide:
- Disassembly and removal of the old door
- Preparation of the garage opening
- Installation of any tracks, springers or roller box
- Installation of the door itself
- Checks and testing
As with any work carried out for your property, if you want the best results, you’re always going to be better off leaving it to the professionals. We’ll explore more about why that’s the case next.
Installing a garage door can be challenging
There are plenty of jobs around the house you can probably tackle by yourself, but without experience in garage door installation, it’s never recommended that you do this yourself. That’s because it’s a fairly large thing to try and take on alone, meaning it will take you far longer to complete alone and you may end up leaving your garage exposed over a period of several days — a real security risk. It’s also because there are dangers and hazards that, for those without experience, could result in serious injury. We don’t recommend going down the DIY route because, despite your best efforts, there are a lot of things that can go wrong which could end up ruining the end result, or worse, could cost you more money to have rectified further down the line.
High-tension springs, heavy materials, sharp objects and even electrical components all create a hazardous installation process without the right tools, knowledge and skills. But that’s where our dedicated team of garage door fitters come in.
We ensure that you’re left with immaculate results, not only in terms of how your door looks, but how smoothly it operates and how well it will stand up to the elements. It all adds up to an investment in your property that will last for many years to come when carried out correctly.
Factors affecting the installation time
Remember when we said the approximate installation time for a garage door was 4-6 hours? We’ll, let’s break down some of the things that could either increase or decrease that time, just so that you can see how many factors the process hinges on:
- Size – As you can probably imagine, a smaller single garage door is going to be easier to fit than a large, double garage door, just through pure physics.
- Weather – We can fit garage doors in most weather conditions, but if there is torrential rain all through the day then it may take us a little longer to get the work done. Likewise, dangerously strong winds or heavy snow might mean that we have to reschedule in order to safely install your garage door — we never want to put you, your family or our team at risk.
- Style – The type of garage door you select contributes a lot to the variance in installation times. A simple up and over garage door will be a lot quicker than an automated, side-sliding double garage door because there are more mechanics involved that need to be fitted and tested.
- Property type – We aren’t often hampered by the age of your property, but in some cases, an old garage that has seen better days may need more preparation work for us to create a quality garage door that is fully secure, without gaps and leaks around the edges.
- Availability – Less about the installation process and more to do with how long it may take to get the job booked in, availability from manufacturers can factor into things. The good news is that we have fantastic relationships with leading manufacturers and so can often provide a turnaround time as rapid as 4 weeks on average.
When you need a reliable garage door installation company in the South East – including Surrey, Kent, Berkshire, Devon, Hampshire, West Sussex, London and Buckinghamshire – look no further than our professional technicians at Doormatic. We offer installation as part of our services on all garage door types, as well as dedicated garage door maintenance services to help keep your door in top condition for many years to come.
Don’t risk injury and an underwhelming finish for your property – contact us today for more details on any of our garage doors and how long installation times are, or use our free quote form so that you can put your feet up and leave it to the experts.