5 Top Garage Door Maintenance Tips You Need To Know For Winter
With the howling winds and never ending rainfall, the winter season often feels like the longest season of them all, and for many homeowners it’s the time where they “winterize” their homes. There are many ways that a home can be properly prepares for the harsh winter months such as outdoor water pipes and purchasing generators.
Did you know that one of the areas that are most overlooked during the winter months is the maintenance of garage doors?
Regular garage door maintenance helps to prolong the longevity of your garage doors and can help you to avoid costly repair bills as well as helping to keep your home safe and dry when the strong winter winds pick up.
Here are a few DIY garage door winter maintenance tips for the experts:
1. Be sure to clean the exterior of the garage door with a mixture of household cleaning detergents. Removing the debris from the garage doors exterior will help to eliminate damage from rust and clogged hinges.
2. Give the weather stripping a good clean that is located towards the bottom of the garage door. As you clean the weather stripping please make sure you keep an eye out for any cracks and tears. A garage doors weather stripping helps keep your garage dry and the winter elements out.
3. Check and clean the garage door windows. If you notice that your windows are damaged you must replace them sooner rather than later. Be sure to check for any cracks in the sealing around all of the windows, if you do find any damages you should replace this before the rain and snow as this could cause further lasting damage to the window frame and the interior of your garage.
4. Check the moving parts of the garage door. You can use a cloth to wipe away any grease build-up on the tracks and rollers. Grease build-up can put a lot of pressure on the opening and closing mechanisms of the garage door.
For your safety, it’s imperative that you never attempt to adjust the cables or torsion springs by yourself. The latter parts are responsible for the opening and closing of the garage door and if you adjust the tension or position improperly you can cause the garage door to malfunction and cause yourself bodily harm. Make sure you ensure the garage doors sensors are lined up together in the correct way and that objects are not blocking or obstructing the sensors in anyway.
5. Ensure your remote control batteries are charged and in working order. When it comes to garage doors there’s nothing quite frustrating and embarrassing when there is nothing wrong with the door other than your batteries have run out – and this usually happens when you need to use it the most!
Following these simple steps will allow you to prepare yourself and your garage door for those cold winter months ahead!
If you have any questions related to the article or regarding garage doors in general, please do not hesitate to contact us – we are the garage door experts after all.
Be sure to keep an eye out for our weekly blog posts to be fully up to date with all of the latest garage door hints tricks and tips!