Types of Garage Door Materials - Buying Guide
The material that a garage door is crafted from needs to fulfil several functions, including high usability, safety and resistance to damage. These will vary depending on the characteristics of where you live, such as common weather or the residents of your home. It’s therefore essential to weigh up the pros and cons of each option to make sure you choose a material that works for you.
Steel Garage Doors Benefits
- Durability and Strength: Steel is immensely strong by nature, and built to withstand many types of damage and impact without delamination, warping or cracking. This is especially useful if you live in areas with fierce weather, or have a teenager driver in residence who’s liable to the occasional accident!
- Enhanced Security: Thanks to its sturdy construction and robust nature, steel is also capable of enduring break-in attempts better than most materials.
- Easily Customisable: A steel door can be customised with a diverse range of coatings and colours, leaving you with a smooth, personalised finish that really enhances the kerb appeal of your home.
- Low Maintenance: Tough and resistant, steel is a low maintenance option that rarely requires repainting. It also does not rust, regardless of the conditions it’s put through.
Look at the steel garage doors we stock at Doormatic.
Timber / Wooden Garage Doors Benefits
- Natural Appearance: If you’re drawn to warm, rustic tones then wooden garage doors are unbeatable for nailing the natural look. And thanks to the scope of options available, wooden doors can satisfy any style preferences ranging from contemporary to classic.
- Plenty of Choice: Here at Doormatic, we understand our customers have differing tastes and that’s why we can offer our doors in a varied range of wood types, including fir, cedar and redwood.
- Maintenance: When deciding between wood vs steel, consider the additional maintenance that may be required for timber garage doors to keep them looking their absolute best.
You can see the range of timber / wooden garage doors we have to offer here.
GRP / Fibreglass Garage Doors Benefits
- Lightweight: One of the key traits of fibreglass is that it’s lightweight and usually consists of an aluminium frame with fibreglass sections.
- Durable: Built to withstand cracks, dents, rusts, and rot, fibreglass (GRP) is a hardy option and a popular choice amongst families with children or pets.
- Resistant to Salt and Humidity: Coastal dwellers will also enjoy this material’s resistance to salty air and to changes in humidity.
For inspiration, check out the GRP / fibreglass garage doors we have to offer.
ABS Plastic Garage Doors Benefits
- Uniform Appearance: If you’re eager to maintain a uniform, front-of-house appearance then ABS plastic matches perfectly with existing uPVC windows and doors of a house to ensure a consistent look.
- Impact-Resistant: ABS is created from a thermoplastic polymer and is an incredibly forgiving material that is resilient to impact from cars, wind, scratches, knocks and heat.
- Corrosion Resistant: Boasting a resistance to corrosion, ABS plastic has an impressive longevity and is virtually maintenance free.
See here for our range of ABS plastic garage doors to get some ideas.